STS "The Lord Nelson
Ports I have visited
Not including the many quiet anchorages like
A. Ransome's 'Secret Water'
to be found throughout East Anglia. From Blakeney in Norfolk, to the Blackwater Estuary in Essex:
Brightlingsea, Maldon, Mersea, and Tollesbury.
- ..Alderney, Channel Is.
A safe place to wait for the Alderney Race (and that's no yacht race!)
- ..Antwerp (Antwerpen), Belgium
Antwerp where I joined "The Lord Nelson" 4 hours at the helm through the Buxey Sands to Lowestoft
- ..Amsterdam, Netherlands
Memories of "Sara Dan", removing plastic bags wound around the prop.
- ..Breskens, Belgium
So this is where the EU money goes!
- ..Carruna, (La Caruņa) Spain
Capital of Galicia and busy Spanish naval port.
- ..Cowes, Isle of Wight
The very heart of Sailing.
And a scary flight home to England; take-off over the harbour, banking hard round "The Rock"
- ..Great Yarmouth.
- ..Marina de las dunas, Guardamar de Seguro, Spain and the most amazing white-sand beach
- ..Jamestown, St. Vincent, The Grenadines
and a short hop across to Bequia.
- ..Las Palmas de Majorca.
- ..London: St Katherine's Dock, beside Tower Bridge.
London's best kept secret.
- ..Lowestoft: on Britain's sunrise coast. Leaving with 'Petrel' for a new berth at Tollesbury.
Raising the road-bridge to allow STS "The Lord Nelson" berth.
- ..Middelburg, Netherlands
Pretty Dutch port.
- ..Rothsay, Dunoon, Scotland
On the busy Clyde. Huge basking sharks beneath the hull and other metal monsters.
Leave the echo-sounder running regardless! Beware, submarines!
- ..St. Malo, Normandy, France Beware the 'Minkies' (Les Minquiers - the naughty ones!)
- ..St. Helier, Jersey, Channel Is.
under the shadow of Mt. Bingham and the castle.
- ..Teeside: Hartlepool Renaisance Round Britain Yacht Race Aug 1992, raising sponsorship for the
UK MS Society
- ..Tenerife, Islas de las Canarias Whales, dolphins, volcanos and much, much more.
- ..Vlissingen (Flushing),
Last edited March 2010. ©Terence Wilson MMIX